Sunday, March 20, 2011

An obsession passed down

Do you think certain obsessions can be passed down from generation to generation?  I think they can be.  I found out recently that my mom's mom's dad was an avid collector of antique books and that he had an literal obsession with Abraham Lincoln.  I know that my mom loves to read and is a fantastic writer.  I also love books and have way too many for my own good as well as my own little  obsession with Elizabeth Tudor.  Today while working on a project Gweny told me she loves letters and she wrote "Q", "T", and "O" over and over on one of them.  It did my heart good to hear that.  She also loves the library, which we visit once every week or two depending on how fast I read.  She selects one book each time and we read that together.  Sometimes she will pick something that's semi age appropriate but several weeks ago she chose a book "written by" Geronimo Stilton, a newspaper mouse.  It was a Christmas book and we read it, then I went to the library and chose another one for her by the same author about sunken treasure.  She LOVES them.  We went yesterday and she chose a counting book about Cinderella.  It just makes me happy to see that she and I share this same interest.  Right now she is looking at a dragon book but lately she has been obsessed with her "Body Book", specifically the page on digestion.  She has learned all about her bones, nervous system, digestive system, teeth, brain, blood vessels, etc.  She's such a smart girl and hopefully, with the help of books and the library I'll be able to keep her occupied and learning. :)

No comments: